Saturday, July 26, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions





 ============================================
This week we learned about Microagressions. Microagression can be defined as the following: brief everyday indignities, that can be verbal, behavioral or environmental, that unintentionally (or intentionally) deliver insulting messages to others that may cause severe psychological distress and harm. Most often, these messages are centered around race, gender, sexual orientation, ability or religious affiliations (Laureate Education Inc., 2011).
These microagression however unintentional have long lasting and far-reaching consequences. Because racism is taught and not innate, the scars of microagression can be oppressive, cumulative, cyclical, and multi-generational.  There are several forms of microagression. They are:
·         Microassult—is outright and deliberate racism. This equates to blatant attempts at racial slurs in order to hurt and belittle.
·         Microinsults—this form of microagression attempts to demean a person’s racial heritage by suggesting the personal is intellectually inferior.
·         Microinvalidation—the final form is ignoring or making light of someone’s experiences in terms of racism; invalidating their feelings of being discriminated against.
The hidden message within these microagressions is the oppressive lording over another person. “I am better and more valuable as a human than you.”  Microagression works because in our competitive nature there is always someone trying to “one up” the next person. One person’s success means someone else must fail, or come out as substandard and subservient.
I have witnessed and been party to many microagressions in my lifetime. Obviously most of them have been those innocent enough “ribbings” that we give each other about being this or that.  “What a redneck!” “Where’s the flood?” “Hey nerd, what’s up?”…all those labels we toss around to describe our friends and acquaintances.  As we grow up that doesn’t really change—only the words we use. We think we are being funny, but the truth is sometimes this “kidding” hurts.
Probably one of the most common microagressions I am guilty of even today is by microinvalidating others. I think I am usually guilty of invalidating feelings of others because I am a problem solver by nature. Most people just want you to listen to them and understand how they feel in the situation and not solve or under appreciate what is being said. I want to fix everything for everyone.  I have been aware of this for quite some time and realize it is a problem.  It doesn’t show empathy.  I had no idea it was a form of microagression. Learning from our expert, Dr. Sue, has been a real eye opener.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Davey,
    Great posts on micro aggressions. I agree this assignment was a real eye opener. I'm glad you were able to recognize what micro aggression you have been using with other's. This will definitely help you interact with other's in a better and meaningful way.
    Thanks,
    Tierra Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daveylynn

    Great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Before this week I never really realised just how damaging our words and actions can be. It is so true that those labels that we use when 'kidding' around really hurts. As a grade six teacher i would once in a while have some name calling but as the years went by I have told my students that one of my expectations that that they refrain from calling others names (giving them labels) like 'retard' 'gorgor' as i think these names can be very demeaning and hurt the person's feeling without even being aware that they were microaggressions. This week has really been an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Davey Lynn for sharing your experiences with microaggressions and especially with microinvalidating. You gave me new insights to problem solving as I never thought of it as microinvalidating. You gave me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Davey,
    I completely understand how you feel when it comes to being a problem-solver, as I also fall into that category. As you pointed out, most of the time people just need someone to listen, but it's so hard for us to not want to reach out and "help". I have had many hard life lessons regarding this, and in recent years have made a conscious effort to hold my tongue, unless my advice was sought. Although it has been a difficult transition, I will say that there is a sense of release when I do suppress that urge to "fix" the problem. What I have learned over the years is that most people have to go "through" it to learn from it. Thank you for sharing such an intimate aspect of who you are, as it really helps pull all of what we are learning together.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete