Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression




=========================================================================
Selecting a famous or infamous example of prejudice seemed a daunting task, as there are a myriad of historical references to choose from. Honestly the assignment was not specific to a well-known example, but in 2006 this particular incident became very real to me personally.  I was lucky enough to be in Memphis Tennessee, on my way to Graceland, when we stumbled on a sign for the National Civil Rights Museum. What I experienced next made such a huge impact on my life...what a humbling moment. I will remember it for always.
The event I am speaking of is none other than the famous Rosa Parks bus ride that happened in Montgomery in December of 1955.  Rosa was arrested because she refused to give up her seat to a white man.  While the story has always interested me, it was an emotional overload when I sat on a replica of the bus alongside a wax model of Rosa. In the background, a recording of a man belittling Rosa played over and over. Quite honestly, it pissed me off. Maybe she was born a more proper woman than me, because they would have had to drag me off that bus kicking, screaming and fighting back.  But then again she may have paved the way for me to be so oppositional and defiant in my beliefs.
The whole experience of going through the museum brought to light a situation I could never have imagined. I grew up so removed from that world.  I never have witnessed the hate and oppressive actions of those who practiced racism.
Racism still exists in some parts of the United States and I just don’t understand how any other humans can think they are any more important than anyone else…I just don’t understand this mentality…

2 comments:

  1. Hello Davey! Wow, what a great,humbling and surreal experience. I would love to visit that museum one day. Many of us have had the fortune to not have experienced such racism and hatred. But, Rosa Parks has always been a hero of mine within the civil rights movement. She has made it possible for us to sit, drive, and fly where ever we wish! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davey,
    I love Rosa Parks. I find her to be extremely inspirational, strong and resilient. I think of her often when I am feeling on the fringe of work, family or friends. I think of her when I want to be motivated to change. Thank you for profiling such a strong woman.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete