Sunday, September 28, 2014

Communication--How Am I Doing?




This week we looked at ourselves as communicators.  We used a series of surveys to see how we perceive ourselves as communicators and how others perceive us as communicators. I think I have always been introspective and am aware of my shortcomings and strengths; I do not however have any idea of how others perceived me.  This was an interesting assignment.

Survey results affirmed what I thought:

Communication Anxiety Inventory:
I feel somewhat anxious with some communication situations…public speaking is something I can do, if it is something that I am passionate about…I still feel like I might throw up before the speaking engagement but I make it through.

Verbal Aggressiveness Scale:
I maintain a good balance between respect and considerations for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attaching the facts of a position rather than the person holding that position.

Listening Style Profile:
I am people oriented—empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others. This listening style helps me build relationships, but it can interfere with proper judgment because I tend to be very trusting of others.

The second half of this week’s assignment was to have two others complete the survey about us.  (P) will be one person completing the survey (K) will be the other; I will share the results with you below in the same order as above:

(P) feels that I feel a bit uneasy in some communication situations and somewhat more confident in other contexts.  He reports that communication doesn’t seem to be something that I worry a great deal about; he feels I maintain a good balance between respect and considerations for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attaching the facts of a position rather than the person holding that position. Lastly, he rated me as people oriented and that I am empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others. This listening style helps me build relationships, but it can interfere with proper judgment because I tend to be very trusting of others.

(K) feels I am comfortable communicating in most situations and feels I am confident in anticipating such encounters; she feels I maintain a good balance between respect and considerations for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attaching the facts of a position rather than the person holding that position. Finally, she rated me as people oriented and that I am empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others. This listening style helps me build relationships, but it can interfere with proper judgment because I tend to be very trusting of others.

Seeing the similarity in the evaluations affirms that I am mostly transparent, easy to read and know myself and my communication and listening styles pretty well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Davey,
    I enjoyed reading your post this week and love the photo you chose to go with it. It's great to know that both you and the people you chose to do the survey with, all agreed on your communication skills. It sounds like you're doing great in those areas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is great that you are the people you chose all see yourself as a communicator in the same light. I think this shows that you are a very self aware person, who can reflect on your thoughts and actions when it comes to your interactions with others. Thank you for sharing this week!

    ReplyDelete