Saturday, April 26, 2014

Issues & Trends~~Final Blog for session



This blog marks the final entry for the Issues and Trends class. It has been an informative and eye opening lesson. I have broadened my mind set for sure. 
For the whole of the course, however, I did not receive any contact from my international counterparts.  This may be an assignment that needs revised or reconfigured as the contacts supplied were not of childcare providers or teachers; thankfully there was always an alternate for it. 

I spent a lot of time this course thinking about poverty, equity, and accessibility in early childhood.  I have always understood the difficulties poverty places on children and families, teaching at head start has given me the background I needed to be able to support the diverse needs of families.  I have had an epiphany of sorts though when realizing that here in America we do not typically see poverty like that that families in underdeveloped countries do. The international poverty threshold is $1.25 per day.  There is no way I would even be able to attempt to raise a family on that.

I was familiar with our community resources and agencies that help those struggling with poverty, so this was not a huge revelation, I did learn about some national and international agencies that are working to eliminate issues with quality, access, and affordability.

I was also able to focus on some advocacy efforts—one of my favorite things!  And a goal I will continue to strive to complete as often as possible. If I can make a difference in the lives of children in my center, in my community, in my state then who is to say that I can’t make a difference in the lives of children in another country?!?

It has been interesting sharing this journey with some of the other students in this course and I look forward to continuing that professional relationship with them next class. Until then I think I will a few days and regroup and recharge.

1 comment:

  1. Davey,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog posts! I really like your informal, laid-back approach, as it makes for a fun read! Your posts are always resourceful and passionate, and for that I thank you. I share your plight in not making any connections with an international counterparts--thank goodness we are resourceful learners, huh? I applaud your efforts and passion in addressing local poverty issues in your community. You also mention your desire to address this issue more globally, which could be a very intimidating and overwhelming feat to take on. I would love to support international efforts in addressing this pervasive issue, but I wouldn't know where to begin. What ways would you suggest your colleagues address the issue of poverty on a global scale?

    ReplyDelete